Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Marked-up

I am practicing a new discipline right now. I have committed myself to reading through the whole Bible over the next 40 days. I have never tried anything this big before and it is a challenge to make the time to do this.But here is where the new discipline comes in: I am not reading with a pen in hand.

That might not sound like a lot to you, but you need to know that I love reading and I love highlighters and pens. Generally, when I read I have one or the other with me and any time I find something that I think will work well in a sermon or is a great leadership principle, I highlight or underline it to make it easy to find later.When I read my Bible, I generally do the same thing. Highlighting key verses or writing notes in my margins of sermon ideas or key themes that can be taught. I am addicted to this style of reading.

When I decided to take on this 40 day challenge, I decided to do it without a pen or marker near by. Instead of scouring the Bible looking for ways to teach others, I need the Bible to scour me. Instead of looking for the next great series to preach, I needed God to just wash over me and do a great work in my life.

I am just a little way in to this challenge, but it has been an exciting time. The story of God is unfolding before my eyes as I turn the pages. Although the pages are remaining untouched, the same cannot be said of me.

~ Adam

No comments: